Determined Advocacy In Child Custody And Support Cases

When your relationships with your children are at stake, or when your financial interests are on the line, you deserve an advocate who will fight for you and not give up.

At Whelan Law Office, we are here to provide exactly that type of advocacy: determined, fearless and strategic. We won't rush headlong into litigation without carefully considering all the alternatives. However, if trial is the best choice for you, our lawyer has the skill to diligently represent your interests in court. Call us at 402-513-0504 for a free consultation.

"I love that it is a family business! They will fight for you!" — Former client

Developing An Effective Parenting Plan

A parenting plan is key to determining when the children will spend time with each parent. Nebraska courts require parties to attempt mediation to come up with their own parenting plan. It can clearly detail where the children will spend holidays and summer vacations, who will pick them up and drop them off, which parent will take time off work to care for them during illnesses, and much more.

In Nebraska, there is both physical custody and legal custody. Physical custody is determined by the amount of time the children spend with each parent, while legal custody involves responsibility for major decisions involving the children's education and care.

How Child Custody And Child Support Affect Each Other

While the amount of child support is primarily determined by examining each parent's income, it is also contingent upon the custody arrangement. If your children spent three nights a week with you, for instance, you may have to pay far less support than if they only spend one night at your house.

It's important to note that failure to pay child support does not affect a parent's right to spend time with his or her child. If you have fallen behind in your court-ordered support payments, the other parent must still allow you to exercise your assigned parenting time. He or she can't refuse to let you see your child.

Making Changes To Custody Or Support Orders

Child support payments can be modified if there has been a change in circumstance. For instance, if you lost your job, you can request a modification. Likewise, you can request a child custody modification if you want to move out of state with your child or make other adjustments.

Alimony ordered in a divorce decree can also be modified if there has been a change in circumstances.

To learn more, schedule a free initial consultation with our family law attorney. Simply call our Omaha office at 402-513-0504 or contact us online. You can reach us 24/7.