Establishing Paternity And Asserting Your Parental Rights

The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) points out that when two people are married, the husband is automatically presumed to be the father of the child. A husband doesn’t need to take any legal steps to obtain parental rights.

However, when the parents are not married to each other, the father will need to fill out an Acknowledgement of Paternity form, have it notarized, and submit it to DHHS Vital Records Management. If someone insists that he is not the father, genetic testing through a simple cheek swab may be necessary to prove or disprove parentage.

At Whelan Law Office in Omaha, our attorney has represented numerous fathers and mothers in paternity cases and other family law matters across Nebraska. Our law firm was established in 1990, giving us decades of experience that we will leverage to pursue positive results for you. Plus, you can count on us to treat you with the personal, respectful attention that you deserve.

“Top notch advice. They take care of you like family.” — Evan

The Benefits Of Establishing Paternity

Legally naming the biological father of a child is important for many reasons. Among other things, establishing paternity can:

  • Allow the mother to receive child support payments to help cover the financial expense of raising a child
  • Provide health care coverage for the child through the father’s health care plan
  • Give the father the right to seek custody or parenting time with the child
  • Allow each parent to participate in decision-making regarding the child’s upbringing, education and religious instruction
  • Guard the child’s right to inherit money, property or government benefits after a parent passes away or becomes disabled

When Litigation Becomes Necessary

Whelan Law Office is particularly equipped to represent you if the other parent is unwilling to cooperate. We will vigorously uphold your interests in the court of law by filing a paternity action and aggressively protecting your interests. We can also assist you with related matters, such as obtaining past-due child support and other costs through an enforcement action.

Learn more about our services by calling our Nebraska lawyer today at 402-513-0504. You can also reach us online.